Thursday 8 June 2017

12 Questions with Mario Tomic


1) Who is Mario Tomic? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc) 

Mario Tomic is a Croatian fitness and health coach, public speaker, entrepreneur, and world traveler. In 2014, I founded Tomic Consulting, a company that provides online fitness coaching and consulting. We help entrepreneurs, marketers, and consultants regain control over their health and get in the best shape of their life. I graduated with a masters degree in Computer Science and Engineering, and after a few years of working in an office, I was very disappointed when I realized the path where I was headed which motivated me to make some big changes in my life. Wanting to escape the "rat race" I devoured everything I could find on starting an online business, marketing, and sales. After a whole year of multiple failures, unpaid internships, and experiments, I finally was able to quit my job, and I became an online marketing consultant. This move completely changed my life because I could start traveling and working as a digital nomad. After a couple of years of working in the marketing world, I decided to move over to fitness to pursue my real passion. My specialty is bridging the gap between complex science-based fitness and practical application. The two main hobbies I enjoy the most are reading and traveling. I read roughly 2-3 books per week, and I love being a nomad and exploring the world. Since 2012 I've been moving every few months to a new country. And so far I've lived in over 45 countries.


2) How many years have you been training?

Growing up I played soccer all the way till college. Then during college, everything in my health fell apart, and I wasn't doing much movement which turned my naturally skinny body into a bad case of skinny fat. I remember I couldn't do more than 5 push-ups. When I came back home from college, I fell in love with strength training, and I've been lifting weights for about 7 years now. 

3) What's been the hardest part of your journey so far? And how have you overcome them (setbacks, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

The hardest part for is balancing all areas of life. I like to go "all-out" when I do something, and in the past, this would often throw my life out of balance. e.g. During college, I started playing a few videos games with friends for fun. And then within just 1 year, I found myself spending 10-12 hours a day in World of Warcraft, cutting out everything else in life, and playing on a semi-professional level. The same happened a few times with business and other areas of life. Relentlessly pursuing mastery and being fully dedicated to one single goal is my biggest weakness and probably my biggest strength. 

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

Currently, I'm training at a very high frequency, 6 days per week full body sessions in the gym. My diet is set up for lean gaining. As for food choices, 90% is made out of the whole healthy unprocessed foods with 10% being highly palatable foods.

5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle, and nutrition?

Two biggest lessons from past year were: Learning how to successfully work around a hip flexor injury and still make gains. And the realization that scheduling fun time is an absolute MUST. If I don't do this I will end up working myself to death.

6) Whats your favorite cheat/Treat meal?

I love crepes. :) 

7) One supplement that you could not live without?

That would be Whey Protein during travel because it gets tough sometimes to hit your daily protein target. Other than whey I don't take many supplements. Vitamin D when I get less sun exposure and Omega 3 on days that I don't eat fish.

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why? 

I wouldn't change anything, failures and even the injuries thought me valuable lessons and I wouldn't be who I am today if those things didn't happen. 

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why? 

Alan Aragon, a great role model and an example how one can be extremely successful and influential while at the same time maintaining integrity. Other than being world's top nutrition expert, Alan is a great person to hang out with, very humble, and he truly enjoys what he does. Other great people that fall into this category and from whom I've learned a lot both online and in-person would be Brad Schoenfeld, James Krieger, Eric Helms, Menno Henselmans, Mike Israetel, Greg Nuckols and Borge Fagerli. I probably missed a few there as well. These guys have revolutionized the fitness industry in the last decade.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be? 

Be open to changing your beliefs and never stop learning. 

11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc)

On the personal fitness side of things, I'm looking forward to packing on a bit more muscle in the lean gaining phase and I'll soon be going on a mini-cut. Other than that, my big focus is scaling the business. The company now is just a handful of people and we'll are expanding to keep up with the demand and to be able to serve and help more people.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

Website: https://www.tomic.com 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/MarioTomicOfficial
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mariotomich
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MarioTomicOfficial




LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................