Wednesday 24 May 2017

12 Questions with Emma Storey-Gordon (ESG Fitness)


1) Who is Emma Storey-Gordon? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

 I am a personal trainer/online coach and science enthusiast from Scotland (I am originally from Oxford.. People tend to be disappointed when I don’t have a Scottish accent- sorry). I love being outdoors and enjoying the beautiful Scottish country side. I am also partial to the odd gym session. My other hobbies include reading (solely science.. I have never been able to get into fiction), very occasional skateboarding (just putting this in to make me sound cooler than I am).. now realising I don’t have many hobbies.. I can’t play any instruments and I don’t currently play any sports. I do have a really old dog who lives with my parents who is kind of a big deal and I love walking although he can only just make it to the park now which is about 400m away.


2) How many years have you been training?

I have been training to some extent since I was about 14 (11 years.. WOW) this has progressed (or regressed depending on how you think about it) form training for athletics- 400m hurdles was my event to now.. I just go to the gym and lift weights.

3) Whats been the hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)


I took up rowing while at University and injured my back..I’m not sure exactly what I did and I remember always having a temperamental hip/back prior to this (possibly from lop sided hurdling). However, since this I haven’t been able to train for performance or put any large force through my legs without being in pain and a horrible, grumpy human for days after. Although the injury was annoying the hardest part was giving up training for performance in quite the same way. I loved seeing my times coming down and the weights I was lifting going up but the injury meant that training for absolute strength wasn’t possible so I had to move the goal posts and make some new goals.. which is what initially lead me to fitness modelling. If you can’t perform you may as well look good huh. Not to take away from anyone with aesthetic goals but I personally find it fickle, uninspiring and a bit empty. Saying that it obviously motivated me to some extent and I did enjoy seeing my body change. It is much easier to diet when you don’t have to worry about performance.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?


I like to train each body part a few times a week but I keep my sessions short and usually superset most exercises. I tend to eat 2 large meals a day with a snack or shake in between if I fancy. I don’t track my macros.. some days I am sure I am way over and others I am under. Generally if I have eaten poorly for a day or two I am motivated to ‘get back to it’ – whether this is all psychological or some compensatory physiological signals are also involved I don’t know.

5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

I am sure I have learnt a lot! Something that has really been nailed in is that for most people reaching their goals is about behaviour change and not necessarily diet and training..if you get the basics right you can vary a lot and get great results

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal?

Kedgeree or fish pie (both have to be made by my Dad)

7) one supplement that you could not live without?

Caffeine .. usually in the form of coffee

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why? 

Nothing..I’ve learnt a lot from all the mistakes I’ve made.. I hate that question haha! Why torment yourself and waste energy other things you can’t change..better to focus on moving forward.

9) Who do you look upto in the fitness industry and why?

This could be a huge list but I will try and keep it brief.. Jordan Peters, Jamie Aldreton, Martin MacDonald, Leigh Peele, Jennifer Bullcock, Lawrence Judd, Scott Baptie, Tom Wright, Phil Graham, the propane fitness boys, team box.. I could go on. Basically anyone who tried to put out good information A few that aren’t ‘in the industry’ but have shaped my approach to fitness are Chae Cramb, Ross Brain and Marc Keys.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

You always know less than you think, you can learn something from everyone, integrity over MLM

11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc)

You’ll have to follow me to see

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts)

@ESGfitness Twitter www.facebook.com/ESGfitness ESGfitness on instagram www.esgfitness.co.uk ESGFclients@gmail.com (to contact me about working with me).




   

LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................