Tuesday 4 July 2017

12 Questions with Phil Learney (Advanced Coaching Academy)


1) Who is Phil Learney? (where are you from, what do you do, a bit about yourself (hobbies, etc)

I got told that I was an entrepreneur last week by someone which I guess it to some degree true. By trade I was a Personal Trainer for 20 years, educator and now I work predominently in my role as the director and owner of the Advanced Coaching Academy. I'm from a small village in the Cumbria and my parents were publicans (Thats not a political stance, they owned a pub). I grew up playing mostly rugby and cricket, I played and captained my county for cricket and played at a decent club level. I played rugby in the national divisions and had a brief run out in the premier league many many years ago. Since then I've played around with various sports for hobbies, weightlifting, american football, and was a competitive powerlifter. I love motorbikes and recently had my bike stolen (violins) and fast vehicles in general. Now my time is spent working on my business and with my wife, Katie and my amazing family.


2) How many years have you been training?

I started training 26 years ago when I was 14. I was a big and overweight for most of my childhood so thats what spurred me to start hitting the gym.

3) Whats been the hardest part of your journey so far? and how have you overcome them (set backs, rejections, injuries, basically anything difficult that you have had to overcome)

Lack of time, direction and money would be the three hardest things to contend with. I came very close to leaving the industry I love on many occasions and I guess is a large part of why I do what I do now. I don't want to see honest hard working people struggling and I also don't want to see people overwhelmed and unhappy about their physical appearance or health. The academy helps me indirectly do all of that.

4) What does your typical workout/diet routine look like?

My and my wife workout together most days and we spend no more than 45 mins in the gym at a time. We train daily so use a split routine that allows us to hit each muscle group around every 48 hours. All mostly supersets and very little rest.

5) What have you learned over the past year regarding training, lifestyle and nutrition?

That I can maintain my own physique much easier than I thought. With respect to knowledge I wouldn't even know where to start. My days are spent researching, writing and educating others. I've written over 500,000 logged words since January so I guess to answer the initial question. A LOT However I've also probably forgotten a lot.

6) Whats your favourite cheat/Treat meal? 

Varies day to day, am a huge food fan so it will depend what I fancy. I'm a big burger fan right now.

7) one supplement that you could not live without? 

I love a good pre-workout. It's more really a habit that I've developed that I must have some funky coloured drink before training. Other than that I take very little in the way of supplements. Oh, hayfever tablets....right now I would hate it without them. 

8) If you had to start out from scratch with your physique what would you do differently and why? 

Nothing at all. Yes I'd have like to have known what I know now. It's all been a journey and one in which the biggest factor is realising that my choices have largely determined my physique. Would I choose to do anything differently.....I don't think so. 

9) Who do you look up to in the fitness industry and why?

Anyone making a difference and supporting the fact everyone is trying to do just that. It's a funny industry and one in which it's easy to look both down or up at people. I think keeping your eyes forward and taking people on their merits is the best approach.

10) If you had to give one bit of advice to people starting out what would that be?

Learn to manage both money and time better. Two things I watch so many people frivolously waste in all aspects of their lives. I've seen people torn apart by both a lack of time and money.

11) What new goals are on the horizon? (new goals, aims, etc)

To continue to grow the academy and the other businesses I'm involved in. To continue to enjoy life and see more of the world. To look after my family and friends the best I can. I would also like us to move to a new home this year so I guess thats my tangible one.

12) Where can people find you? (website, social media accounts) 

The ACA website 
www.advancedcoachingacademy.com 
Personal Site: 
www.phillearney.com 
Facebook: 
www.facebook.com/PhilLearney 
Instagram 
www.instagram.com/phillearney


LATEST 12 QUESTIONS BELOW....................